Juniors: the Downers Grove Music Club has a ‘Rising Stars’ Award that can significantly help off-set the costs associated with Summer Music Camps. Please see the information below.
Seniors: the Downers Grove Rotary awards an annual scholarship of $2,000 to a deserving District 99 student with a strong music background. The student does not need to be a music major/minor to apply for this scholarship, and financial need is not a criterion. Please read the information below for more details on how to apply.
Downers Grove Music Club Rising Stars Music Awards
This is to announce the availability of the Downers Grove Music Club Rising Stars Music Awards (formerly referred to as scholarships). The application is available via the website for the DG Music Club. The website address is http://downersgrovemusicclub.org/. The Music Award information and application is available in the Educational Opportunities section of the website or it can be accessed directly at this link: http://downersgrovemusicclub.org/scholarships.html
Please make this monetary award opportunity available to all Juniors enrolled in music at both South and North. Six awards will be given and each recipient will receive $400 toward furthering their musical education through continued study during the summer. As outlined in the actual application, the requirements of the application are as follows:
- Purpose: to recognize SIX District 99 High School Music students for excelling at a high level of achievement;
- Eligibility: current high school Juniors who are actively pursuing music are eligible to apply;
- Requirement: the award recipients are required to perform the following year at the Downers Grove Music Club’s Rising Stars program scheduled annually in April;
- How to Apply: complete the written application, along with an optional recording;
- Selection Criteria: the merit of the applicant’s musical accomplishments and, if provided, the quality of the applicant’s musical performance.
- Award Notification: the announcement of the Rising Stars Music Award recipients will be made at the spring awards ceremonies at both Downers Grove North and South.
The application must be submitted either via hardcopy, postmarked no later than April 1, 2013. Or it must be submitted electronically with a date and time stamp of no later than 11:59 pm April 1, 2013.
- mailing address: Downers Grove Music Club, Attn: Rising Stars Music Awards, P.O. Box 551, Downers Grove, IL 60515
- email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This year we are testing the response to allowing applicants to submit an optional audio/video recording of a musical performance. This is completely optional. All applications, both those with the optional recording and without the optional recording will be given equal consideration.
Last year's winners are performing on Tuesday, April 2nd at 7:30 pm. In addition, former Rising Star DGN alumnus and cellist Josh Zajac will be performing as well as future DGS jazz musicians currently in the Lakeview Jazz Band. Also, the newly formed, student run A Cappella group at the College of DuPage will be included on the program. The location is the Faith United Methodist Church at the corners of 59th and Fairview in Downers Grove. Faculty, friends and family are welcome to attend this exciting event.
Rotary Music Scholarship applications now being accepted!
The Rotary Club of Downers Grove is now accepting applications for their annual Charles Dickerman Music Scholarship. Each year the Rotary Club of Downers Grove gives a $2000 scholarship check to a deserving high school senior who resides in the District 99 attendance area. Charles Dickerman was a founding member of the Rotary Club of Downers Grove. He was a nuclear physicist at Argonne National Laboratory who had undergraduate degrees in both physics and music. Charles stayed involved in music throughout his life and was an avid bagpiper.
Download a Scholarship Application form at www.dgrotary.com .
All applicants must have their forms postmarked by March 8, 2013. If selected as a finalist, candidates must be available for an interview and audition in the evening of April 8, 2013.
The qualifications to apply for this scholarship are:
- Be a graduating senior attending a public, private, parochial or home school, and reside in the High School District 99 attendance area.
- Plan to pursue a post-secondary education program
- Have participated in high school curricular music activities and/or extracurricular music activities.
- Composers and/or arrangers qualify for this scholarship.
- Pursuit of an undergraduate music major or minor is not required.
- Financial need is not a criterion for selection